Wednesday, August 22, 2007





Sharing the Sacred Fire:
Integrating Educational
Technology without
Annihilating Nature

Post by John Mclaughlin

The article by R.W. Burniske brings forth valuable insight about the increased use of technology. I agree with Burniske in reasoning that there is a conflict between technology and the natural environment. As a camp counselor, I have met many students who have not wanted to participate in outdoor activities so that they could play their portable video games.

Burniske reasons that children learn about the natural environment in their own geographic region often using a computer. In my opinion, Burniske is correct in arguing that it is possible for teachers to become so excited about using technology to explore the world, that they rely on technology to explore things in their own geographic region. I also agree with Burniske in stating that things in the natural environment should be explored through real experience as opposed to virtual experience.

Technology is a wonderful thing that can be used to explore the world at a distance; but why use it for everything? Burniske states that there should be a balance between technology and real world learning activities. I think finding a balance is a great way to ensure that the students are getting an enriched learning experience.

Questions
In your classroom, how might you explore a local plant or animal using both technology and real world exploration? In other words, what activities might you use?

In your experience, have you noticed a conflict between nature and technology in children?

Some resources about technology and nature in the classroom:

A site that gives teachers simple technology tips.
http://www.edzone.net/~mwestern/

A great nature project for teachers!
http://www.show.me.uk/site/resource/teachers/tNatural-World/ACT69.html


An article about the conflict between technology and nature.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/05/060509174036.htm

2 comments:

Kelsey and Amanda said...

John,
You make a very interesting point about the balance between technology and nature through information technology education. I agree with you that there are children that do not have the natural experiences in their life. I believe that integration is done throughout all curriculum and learning experiences. As educators, we are enthusiastic to bring physical and natural examples to education. Technology is just another avenue to bring information and the world to these children that may or may not experience this knowledge otherwise. Whether we teach P.E., Social Studies, Science, Math, or any other topic, it is our goal as educators to provide a holistic education--where technology is one useful avenue towards learning.
-Amanda

John and Sheila said...

Amanda,

I enjoyecd reading your comments about the holistic approach to teaching. What do you think about the arguement that teachers today rely too much on technology. This reliance is because technology has become so accessible that it is easier to teach children about a plant or animal on the computer than to show them one in real life on the playground or during a field trip?
I believe a shift like this may be taking place.

I heard about a teacher on the north island who did a unit with her students about Bald Eagles. This teacher made the students close the classroom windows since they were a distraction. The students learned about eagles on the computer despite the fact that there was an eagles nest visible through the classroom windows in a tree on the playground. If this story is true, it does support the arguement that this shift towards technology is taking place.

-John M